Tuesday 22 November 2016

Ambassador Farage (Blog 8)

Ambassador Farage


When I first read the title of this article my heart began to beat faster and a feeling of dread took over my body, my initial thought of Ambassador Farage is something which would make a nun blaspheme. I had a picture in my head of Donald Trump in a twisted batman role with Nigel Farage as his goofy sidekick, however when I read more into the article it surprisingly changed my way of thinking and actually "Ambassador Farage" may not be a bad idea after all. The most surprising point of the article was the fact it was actually Trump who suggested it.

When you look to prior the election, who was the one British politician who personally spoke to Trump and actually had personal meetings with him? The harsh reality is that it was Nigel Farage, so since Teresa May only had a brief 10 minute phone call with the new presidential elect why wouldn't we maybe look to Farage to build bridges with our American allies. Unlike Farage I was against the decision to leave the EU and personally feel that Brexit will leave long-term economic damage which we may not be able to turn around, however that's a different topic, the real benefit of Farage being an ambassador to the White House will be the chance of persuading the Trump administration to make a US-UK trade deal a top priority. For me I feel this is essential to Britain's growth as a nation, a US-U.K trade deal would allow U.K businesses to branch out and become international, expanding both countries economy's as American is the supposed land of opportunity.

The main issue that I and no doubt many others will have is how close should Britain get to Mr. Trump and is Nigel Farage the right man we want to represent Britain in major political issues. In many ways I look at Nigel Farage as just another lying politician who is unable to keep his word on a number of major political issues, however I also see him in a different light, one in which he is potentially a people person. We frequently see him down the pub enjoying a pint and actually talking to people in his community, and he doesn't take home a massive pay check, really how many other politicians can you say have done the same? I think his closeness to Trump is potentially one which we could use in our favour, a strengthening bond between the U.K and US could have major beneficial impact on a vast number of areas which our government is looking to improve. The area of trade is vital factor which we need to strengthen with the US, it would generate billions for the economy and also create thousands of jobs across the globe but also in local areas such as the North East where manufacturing work was once the strongest in Europe. It would also lead to the strengthening of global economy and improving relations between multiple nations we may not necessarily see eye to eye with *cough cough Russia* *cough cough China*.

So what do I make of all of this? Well personally we could be making a deal with the toupee wearing devil, or it could see the UK economy growth without the help of a united European Union. It could see areas of U.K develop and move out of poverty, but I don't necessarily think Nigel Farage is the man to do it and I if somehow he does become ambassador then definitely don't let him do it on his own accord.

Let me know how you feel about Farage's potential role below.

https://www.ft.com/content/f5e33ab0-b0a2-11e6-a37c-f4a01f1b0fa1

No comments:

Post a Comment